1) Looks like creating per-font training file sets makes more sense
2) Omni-font training file sets make no sense. The same symbols may look remarkably different in different fonts. Also the size of such a training set would be huge. The recogniser would "go to sleep" in words of Prof. B.B. Choudhuri.
3) Must reduce training fatalities to zero. Strange errors creeping in. Yet to figure out why.
4) How to generate test images? Create a few text files. Use PIL draw() to generate images? Use a text editor manually
What after all this?
1) A nice how-to. Points to cover in the how-to:
* How to run using existing training files.
* How to create new training files.